Sous Chef & Events Expeditor
The Brearley School is an independent girls’ school serving over 700 students K-12. We welcome candidates to apply for the full-time Sous Chef and Events Expeditor position starting immediately.
Summary of Position
This position supports the efforts of the Department of Food Services in providing appetizing, nutritious meals, along with positive food experiences for the entire school community. Works closely with the Executive Chef. Responsible for hot station meal preparation and lunch service.
The hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, with opportunities for overtime. This position typically starts in Mid-August through the end of June, with summers off. We offer paid holidays off and benefits.
The pay Range for this position is $22.00 - $24.00 hourly.
We invite interested candidates to apply by completing an application and uploading a cover letter and resume at https://www.brearley.org/page/about/employment-opportunities.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Reports directly to the Executive Chef.
· Reviews the menu daily with the Executive Chef and plans the day accordingly.
· Responsible for expediting the orders and needs given to the hot station daily for meal preparation.
· Responsible for coordinating the hot food layout for the steam table for lunch service with the servers.
· Assists in food preparation as needed.
· Works with the Executive Chef to ensure all needed menu items are in stock.
· Works with the Food Service Director to prepare Special Events items and deliveries.
· Maintains a clean and organized workspace.
· Performs all other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
· All work must be performed promptly and at a level consistent with the high standards and needs of the School. Must have food service experience.
· Must interact positively with Supervisors and co-workers and work well in a team environment. Must be flexible with work and work schedules.
· Must be friendly, courteous, polite, able to communicate well with others, and offer help when needed.
· This position requires close interaction with students, faculty, and staff.
· Must be able to speak and read English specific to work instructions and communication with students, faculty, staff, and community.
· Must have a DOH Food Handler’s Certificate.
· Must have strong knife skills.
· Must be able to work in high-stress situations with high noise levels in a busy environment.
● Ability to lift 50 lbs.
● Ability to climb a ladder and step ladder.
● Bend at the waist, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as the job may require.
The Brearley School is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional, dedicated faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other state or federally-protected classification.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 610 E 83rd St, New York, NY 10028, USA