Lower School Food Service Assistant
The Brearley School is an independent girls’ school serving over 700 students K-12. We welcome candidates to apply for the full-time Lower School Food Service Assistant position starting immediately.
Summary of Position
This position supports the efforts of the Department of Food Services in providing appetizing, nutritious meals, along with positive food experiences for the entire school community. Works closely with the Food Service Director, Kitchen Manager, and the 590 Chef. Helps to oversee all operations of the lower school food service program. Acts as a liaison for the lower school community. Assists in managing the more subordinate school kitchen staff. Assists the Food Service Director with nutritional education programs and special events.
The hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, with opportunities for overtime. This position typically starts in Mid-August through the end of June, with summers off. We offer paid holidays off and benefits.
The pay Range for this position is $22.00 - $24.00 hourly.
We invite interested candidates to apply by completing an application and uploading a cover letter and resume at https://www.brearley.org/page/about/employment-opportunities.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to the following:
Reports directly to the Food Service Director
· Oversees the setup of breakfast and lunch service. Ensures the timely opening with aesthetically pleasing arrangements for both services. This includes labeling all items as needed.
· Oversees the snack program. Works with the snack team member to ensure that all classrooms receive snacks promptly and are continually stocked as needed. Ensures that special snack needs are communicated to the snack team member promptly.
· Assists in managing the lower school kitchen staff. This includes all 590 kitchen staff. Also works closely with the 610 Steward and Chef de Partie positions when needed.
· Reviews the menu daily with kitchen staff and posts the menu accordingly. This includes posting the menu for the team in the kitchen and the menu board in the Dining Room.
· Communicates all needs to the Kitchen Manager, the 590 Chef, and Food Service Director promptly.
· Acts as a liaison for the lower school community, including the faculty, staff, students, and parents.
· Meets regularly with the lower school administration.
· Ensures the 590 Chef and the Food Service Director receive updated information and lists accordingly. Ensures that the servers are aware of allergies. Communicates regularly with the School Nurse regarding allergy students and special dietary needs.
· Maintains a cheerful, clean, and welcoming Dining facility; this includes decorating and participating in the physical cleanliness of the space as needed.
· Assists in maintaining a clean and organized workspace. This includes all kitchen areas and the dining room. Wipe down tables, sweep, mop, remove the trash, and communicate with the facilities department for assistance.
· Communicate with the Facilities Department regarding daily operational needs.
· Assists the Food Service Director with nutritional educational programs.
· Assists the Food Service Director with Special Events setups and occasional oversight of special events as needed. This includes both 590 and 610 locations.
· Performs all other duties the Kitchen Manager and the Food Service Director assign.
· All work must be performed promptly and at a level consistent with the high standards and needs of the School. Must have food service managerial experience and culinary terms and tools necessary in the execution of the work.
· Must interact positively with Supervisors and co-workers and work well in a team environment. Must be flexible with work and work schedules.
· Must be friendly, courteous, polite, able to communicate well with others, and offer help when needed.
· This position requires close interaction with children, faculty, and parents. The ability to build relationships is critical.
· Must be able to speak and read English specific to work instructions and communication with students, faculty, staff, and community.
· Strong organizational skills
· Skilled at Word and Excel programs and comfortable using a computer.
· Must be able to work in high-stress situations with high noise levels in a busy environment.
● Ability to lift 30 lb.
● Ability to climb a ladder and step ladder.
● Bend at the waist, reaching, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as required.
The Brearley School is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional, dedicated faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other state or federally-protected classification.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 610 E 83rd St, New York, NY 10028, USA