The Brearley School is an independent girls’ school serving over 700 students K-12. We welcome candidates to apply for the full-time Kitchen Steward position starting immediately.
Summary of Position
This position supports the efforts of the Department of Food Services in providing appetizing, nutritious meals, along with positive food experiences for the entire school community. The Kitchen Steward will be responsible for receiving deliveries and maintaining inventory. This position will report directly to the Executive Chef and the Chef at 590 and will work at both locations, buildings 610 and 590.
The hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, with opportunities for overtime. This position typically starts in Mid-August through the end of June, with summers off. We offer paid holidays off and benefits.
The Pay Range for this position is $19.00 - $21.00 hourly.
We invite interested candidates to apply by completing an application and uploading a cover letter and resume at https://www.brearley.org/page/about/employment-opportunities.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Responsible for receiving and checking all incoming deliveries. This includes reporting damages, shortages, or any other issues pertaining to receivables to the Executive Chef.
· Works with the Dishwashers and Kitchen Attendants staff located at 590 to organize and store deliveries in a timely and food-safe manner.
· Responsible for maintaining an accurate and updated inventory supply list of all storage and refrigerator spaces. This includes paper goods, dried goods, produce, freezer items, staple refrigerated items, deli products, and milk box items.
· Communicates daily with the Chef located at 590 to ascertain current needs for the 590-lunch program. Assists in transporting provisions as needed.
· Works with Chef at 590 to keep an updated inventory of paper and dry goods at the 590 building.
· All employees must check in with a supervisor when arriving and leaving work.
· Performs all other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef or the Chef at 590.
· All work must be performed in a timely manner and at a level consistent with the high standards and needs of the School. Must have food service experience.
· Must interact positively with Supervisors and co-workers and work well in a team environment. Must be flexible with work and work schedules.
· Must be friendly, courteous, polite, able to communicate well with others, and offer help when needed.
· This position requires close interaction with students, faculty, and staff.
· Must be able to speak and read English specific to work instructions and communication with students, faculty, staff, and community.
· Must have a DOH Food Handler’s Certificate.
· Must have knowledge of proper produce storage.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Must be able to work in high-stress situations with high noise levels in a busy environment.
● Ability to lift 50 lb.
● Ability to climb a ladder and step ladder.
● Bending at the waist, reaching, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as the job may require.
The Brearley School is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional, dedicated faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other state or federally protected classification.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 610 E 83rd St, New York, NY 10028, USA