The Brearley School, an independent girls’ school serving over 770 students K-12, welcomes candidates for a Private Music Teacher of Piano. As part of our extensive music program, we provide individual instruction in a variety of instruments to our students at all grade levels outside the school day. Lessons typically take place between 3:00 and 6:00 pm during the week and may be thirty, forty, or sixty minutes in length. A teacher may have a total of one to ten students depending on enrollment.
Founded in 1884, the school is a center of intellectual exuberance, attracting students from across and beyond New York City. Our mission has long combined outstanding academics with an insistence on a larger purpose: to cultivate in our students a commitment to the greater good. In pursuit of this goal, we actively strive to build, nurture and sustain a diverse faculty and student body. We are committed to creating an inclusive, equitable and antiracist school community, and we expect our faculty, staff, students, parents, and trustees to pursue meaningful change through deliberate and measurable actions.
- Providing instruction in the piano to beginning learners in person
- Working with the Private Music Coordinator to schedule weekly lessons
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a master’s degree in music
- Have one to three years of teaching experience with young people
- Have experience or familiarity with the Kodály method, in which our students are trained
- Possess competence in inclusive, anti-bias, and antiracist pedagogy
- Have a genuine passion for and command of their subject matter
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bring to their work a collegial spirit and a sense of humor
Private music teachers at Brearley are paid by the lesson and by the number of students taught in a single lesson (typically one, but sometimes two or three). Pay ranges from $22.00 per student for teaching a thirty-minute class of more than two students to $83.00 for teaching a single student in a sixty-minute lesson. This position does not carry benefits.
The Brearley School is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional, dedicated teachers of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or any other state or federally-protected classification.
We invite interested candidates to apply for this position by completing an application and uploading a cover letter and resume at https://www.brearley.org/page/about/employment-opportunities.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 610 E 83rd St, New York, NY 10028, USA