Before and/or After School Program Assistant Site Supervisor
Sign on bonus may apply
The Assistant Site Supervisor is responsible for assisting the Site Supervisor with overseeing all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the School Age, Before or After Care program site; coaching and working with the Program Group Leader(s)/Group Assistant(s) to create a safe, caring and enriching environment for all children at all times. The Assistant Site Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that YMCA policies and Licensing standards are met in regards to day-to day operations including maintaining up to date records, ensuring supervision policies are implemented, guiding the behavior of children, planning and delivering the weekly curriculum and managing staff.
- Assist with maintaining complete and thorough attendance of all students and staff each day. Check the school absentee list, site voice mail, and calling parents if child(ren) are absent, but scheduled. Submit attendance rosters, schedule changes, licensing paperwork, payroll and other reports as requested in the absence of Site Supervisor.
- Ensure the safety of all children enrolled in the program by following the supervision standards in the Code of Conduct and Licensing Requirements. Maintain constant head counts when transitioning between different areas and activities.
- Ensure that only the authorized parent/guardian or emergency contact signs a child in/out of the program and include recording time. Return rosters to office administration weekly, signed and dated.
- Follow YMCA protocols for dealing with First Aid and emergency situations. Complete necessary paperwork such as incident reports, medical log, etc.
- Use positive group management techniques. Anticipate and deal with behavior problems in accordance with YMCA’s Discipline and Expulsion Policy.
- Assist with assigning responsibilities each day including leading activities, helping with snack, homework support, restroom supervision, and clean up as required.
- Ensure all staff function as positive role models and set a positive example through their behavior.
- Promote Y Programs and Camps to families. Assist with planning and implementation of special events, including Annual Campaign.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary program environment by ensuring supplies, equipment and tables are cleaned before and after snack or activities. Ensure children wash their hands before snack. Report any maintenance issues to the school custodians and the Assistant Director/Program Director.
- Assist with leading monthly fire safety drill and log results to meet Licensing requirements.
- Complete 20 hours of professional development annually. Attend all YMCA training and meetings as required.
- Maintain certifications as required. Must complete CARI Background Check, CHRI/Fingerprinting and provide proof of a Mantoux test within two weeks of hire.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
DIRECT REPORTS: Part-time and Full-time Group Leaders
- High School Diploma required, Associate/Bachelors Degree in Education, youth work, recreation or related preferred or equivalent experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels including staff, parents and school staff.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of the YMCA.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, and planning skills.
- 1 year Supervisory experience.
- 1 -3 years working with children in a group setting in Before/Afterschool programs
- CPR, First Aid and AED certifications required.
- Experience adhering to Licensing requirements
Must be capable of being on your feet for long periods and be able to actively supervise children in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments. Must be capable of bending, kneeling, squatting and lifting 30 pounds. Must be able to visually account for all children in the program, whether inside or outside. Must be able to hear whistle or alarms. Clear speaking voice is needed to command control of group.
INTERNAL CANDIDATES: Current active employees of the Metropolitan YMCA of the Oranges should apply via the Careers section of the Dayforce Employee Account.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided
- Symptom screening and self-reporting
- Preventative guidelines/workplace safety trainings (social distancing, frequent handwashing, etc.)
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, participation in cleaning procedures
*Please note that given the current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, the YMCA is and will continue to follow recommendations given by the CDC, local, state, and federal authorities.
Professional development opportunities and complimentary use of YMCA facilities.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA/employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to extensive background check.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $15.75
- Max Hiring Rate $17.50
- Sussex County YMCA, 15 WITS END DR, HAMBURG, New Jersey, United States of America