Before and/or After School Program Group Leader
Sign on bonus may apply
The Group Leader is responsible for assisting the Site Supervisor in the day to day operations of the School Age Before and/or After Care program site for which he/she is hired. The Group Leader provides a high level of supervision for the children in his/her care and leads or assists with activities as directed by the Site Supervisor. The Group Leader works as part of a team to ensure that a safe and caring environment is provided for all children at all times.
- Ensure the safety of all children assigned to his/her group by following the supervision standards in the Code of Conduct and Licensing Requirements. Maintain constant head counts when transitioning between activities. Provide restroom supervision and ensure children wash their hands after using the rest room.
- Lead and support the implementation of program activities including running or participating in CATCH, Healthy U, helping with snack and providing homework support as assigned. Use resources available to deliver activities that meet the purpose and vision of the Y Program and according to assigned curriculum, including 30 minutes of CATCH activities each day.
- Follow YMCA protocols for dealing with First-Aid and emergency situations. Participate in monthly safety drills.
- Use positive group management techniques. Anticipate and deal with behavior problems in accordance with YMCA’s Discipline and Expulsion Policy.
- Build professional relationships with children, their families and school personnel.
- Represent the YMCA in a positive manner in all interactions, including participants and their families, and school personnel. Function as a positive role model and set a positive example through behavior.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary program environment by ensuring supplies, equipment and tables are cleaned before and after snack or activities. Assist with snack set up/clean up. Ensure children wash their hands before snack. Report any maintenance issues, or supply and equipment needs to the Site Supervisor.
- Promote Y Programs and Camps to families. Assist with planning and implementation of special events, including Annual Campaign.
- Attend all YMCA training and meetings as requested. Maintain certifications necessary for the position throughout the program.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High School Diploma, college credits/degree in Education preferred.
- Basic understanding of youth development principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communication with all levels including staff, parents and school staff.
- Ability to problem solve and take initiative that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of the YMCA.
- Ability to relate to children and develop professional, positive relationships with youth.
- 1-3 year’s experience leading group activities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as a role model and take initiative to identify potential risk factors and take measures to reduce them.
- First-Aid, CPR and AED certification may be required.
- Must complete CARI Background Check, CHRI/Fingerprinting and provide proof of a Mantoux test within two weeks of hire.
Must be capable of being on your feet for long periods and be able to actively supervise children in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments. Must be capable of bending, kneeling, squatting and lifting 30 pounds. Must be able to visually account for all children in the program, whether inside or outside. Must be able to hear whistle or alarms. Clear speaking voice is needed to command control of group.
INTERNAL CANDIDATES: Current active employees of the Metropolitan YMCA of the Oranges should apply via the Careers section of the Dayforce Employee Account.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided
- Symptom screening and self-reporting
- Preventative guidelines/workplace safety trainings (social distancing, frequent handwashing, etc.)
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, participation in cleaning procedures
*Please note that given the current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, the YMCA is and will continue to follow recommendations given by the CDC, local, state, and federal authorities.
Professional development opportunities and complimentary use of YMCA facilities.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA/employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to extensive background check.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $15.19
- Max Hiring Rate $16.88
- Sussex County YMCA, 15 WITS END DR, HAMBURG, New Jersey, United States of America