Smart Manufacturing Technical Consultant
SUMMARY: Looking for an opportunity to apply your passion for energy and sustainability? A place where you can make an important contribution in a collaborative, flexible work atmosphere? Energetics is seeking a Smart Manufacturing Technical Consultant to work with our team in supporting the Department of Energy’s Advanced Manufacturing Office’s (AMO). Upcoming Smart Manufacturing activities will include strategic planning, analysis, technical advising, and management of the research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) portfolio. In this position, the successful candidate will work closely with interdisciplinary teams to assess the potential for emerging industrial technologies at scale in a commercial marketplace. As part of your work, you’ll gain innovative knowledge and contribute towards technologies, policies, and R&D trends in industrial energy and emissions. Strong candidates for this position will have a science and/or engineering degree and industry experience related to smart manufacturing, industrial internet-of-things (IoT), automation and process control, artificial intelligence/machine learning, data science, or related fields. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator who is adept at communicating technical findings to non-experts. Excellent presentation and writing skills are desired for this role. Join our team at Energetics and help turn ideas into real impacts. Energetics is a subsidiary of VSE Corporation. The Smart Manufacturing and Technical Consultant will work in a highly collaborative atmosphere, interacting directly with government program managers.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Synthesize and clearly communicate results of research related to the smart manufacturing and related fields to colleagues and clients through formal and informal presentations and written technical communications (reports, white papers, fact sheets, briefings, journal articles, etc.).
- Participate, network, and help coordinate stakeholder engagements, workshops, and discussion with experts in smart manufacturing and related fields.
- Support and advise government clients with programmatic analysis, program/project management, and strategic planning.
- Conduct technical merit review and provide technical support and documentation for RD&D and Consortia program management activities.
- Work closely with program managers and co-workers in a fast-paced collaborative team environment (diligent and responsive contributor). Advise on industry-relevant demonstration opportunities for decarbonization technologies and processes within smart manufacturing and related fields.
- Provide connectivity to other research areas and offices through cross-cutting activities.
- Liaison between scientists at universities/laboratories and government decision-makers to assist in distilling key technical results and potential impacts from R&D.
- Supports in person and virtual meetings with clients and stakeholders, including but not limited to preparing meeting materials, scheduling meetings, assisting the meeting facilitator, and summarizing proceedings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Engineering degree with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience (2 years with Masters or Ph.D. degree).
- Experience in smart manufacturing or related techniques (experience in a research or industrial/manufacturing setting required), including industrial IoT, automation, sensors, controls, and artificial intelligence/machine learning.
- Project management experience.
- Interest in manufacturing energy efficiency, decarbonization, and/or clean energy technologies.
- Excellent communication skills, including strong technical writing skills and an ability to tailor written and verbal communications for technical and non-technical audiences.
- A strong interest in pursuing work in the area of smart manufacturing, sustainable manufacturing, industrial decarbonization, and the clean energy transition.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; advanced analytical and Excel skills.
- Demonstrated ability to excel when working on self-managed tasks and as a member of a team.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- In compliance with Executive Order 14042, any successful applicant for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an accommodation from the vaccination requirement based on disability or sincerely held religious belief, on or before the start date
- Knowledge of energy efficiency or energy management systems in industrial or commercial facilities.
- Experience in cybersecurity and cyber security research, including industrial IoT, automation, sensors, controls, and artificial intelligence/machine learning, secure software development (Application Security), data protection, cryptography, key management, identity and access management (IAM), network security.
- Masters or PhD degrees in science and engineering degrees are a plus
- Candidates with years of experience greater than the minimum are also encouraged to apply.
- Experience in government consulting, supporting government organizations, public-private partnerships, or stakeholder engagement.
- Proficient in running web meeting platforms, e.g., Teams, Zoom, GoToMeeting, WebEx.
- Technical publications in the field of manufacturing or clean energy technologies.
- Experience in analyzing manufacturing supply chains, material flows and sourcing, and sustainability/resiliency in supply chains.
- Candidates with experience in energy systems modeling, technoeconomic analysis (TEA) and environmental assessment techniques (including techniques such as life cycle assessment (LCA), environmentally extended input/output (EEIO) modeling, and carbon foot printing) are particularly encouraged to apply
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Salary
- Columbia, MD, USA
- Washington, DC, USA