Metals (Steel, Al) Industry Engineer
Energetics is a leading U.S. energy and management consultancy, with over 40 years of experience working with government and commercial clients to solve complex energy and technology challenges from inception to deployment and beyond. Our services include strategic planning and technology roadmap development, energy analysis and modeling, strategic outreach and communication, metrics and program evaluation, market and technology impact assessment, and program management for technology deployment. We apply these services across multiple areas of clean energy, including energy efficiency and energy management, manufacturing technologies, renewable energy and hydrogen/fuel cells, advanced transportation, climate resilience and sustainability, critical infrastructure resilience, and grid modernization. Established in 1979, Energetics is headquartered in the Washington DC Metro area, with offices in Maryland, Washington DC, New York, California, and Washington State.
We provide technical support to multiple offices at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), including the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, Office of Fossil Energy, and the Energy Information Administration. Energetics also works with many other government and private sector clients, including the National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, United Nations Industrial Development Organization, New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, the California Energy Commission, major U.S. utilities, national laboratories, trade associations, universities, and commercial manufacturers.
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your passion for sustainability in manufacturing? Energetics is seeking a metallurgist or engineer with experience in metals production operations and an interest in next generation technology and clean energy strategies for decarbonizing steel and other metals manufacturing in the United States. Qualified candidates will support the DOE’s Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO) with technical advising, analysis, and R&D program support. Metals manufacturing experience in alumina and aluminum production and processing or foundry operations will be particularly valuable in this position. Knowledge of other metals production such as industrial steel manufacturing processes as well as trends towards sustainability in the industry is also relevant. As part of your work, you’ll gain knowledge about cutting-edge technologies, policies, and trends in industrial decarbonization. Join our team and help turn ideas into real impacts. Infrequent travel to DC and or MD may be required. Energetics provides a collaborative, flexible work atmosphere.
The Metals Industry Engineer will work in a highly collaborative atmosphere, interacting directly with government program managers. This position can be based in one of our offices (Washington, DC, Clinton, NY, San Diego, CA, Denver, CO or Columbia, MD), or as a remote telework position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and edit reports, talking points, articles, and presentations on subjects related to technical areas in the field of interest (metals manufacturing).
- Research decarbonization technologies and applications within the metals industry.
- Participate, network, and help coordinate stakeholder engagements and discussion with other experts in the relevant fields.
- Conduct technical merit review for R&D concept papers and proposals.
- Provide technical support and documentation for R&D program management activities.
- Work closely with EERE AMO program managers and staff in a fast-paced team environment (diligent and responsive contributor).
- Perform various research activities, including market and technology assessments and technical, energy, environmental, and economic benefits analyses.
- Develop and contribute to technical communications (reports, white papers, fact sheets, research summaries, briefings) and present results.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required (metallurgy, materials science, manufacturing, or similar engineering degree). 5 years’ experience with a degree or 3 years’ experience with a degree required. 3 years’ experience must come from within the metals industry.
- Hands on experience in industrial/manufacturing plant operations.
- Strong interest in energy efficiency, carbon reduction and mitigation technologies, and clean energy.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; advanced analytical and Excel skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, interpersonal, and written).
- Demonstrated ability to excel when working on self-managed tasks.
- at multitasking.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- In compliance with Executive Order 14042, any successful applicant for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an accommodation from the vaccination requirement based on disability or sincerely held religious belief, on or before the start date.
- 5-10 years’ experience preferred.
- Technical background and knowledge of industrial decarbonization, low-carbon technologies, and/or energy efficiency strategies.
- Experience with process heating
- Technoeconomic Analysis Experience
VSE is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
At VSE, we don’t just hire employees; we nurture careers and champion well-being. We understand that our success is driven by the people who make up our incredible team, and that’s why we’re committed to providing a workplace that goes beyond just a job-it’s a place where you can truly flourish. When you choose VSE, you’re choosing a company that prioritizes YOU. Let us tell you why:
Time Off: Enjoy Paid Time Off to relax and recharge.
Family Support: We offer Paid Maternity Leave and Paid Bonding Leave, along with access to our Employee Assistance Program, ensuring your family’s well-being.
Education: Pursue your educational goals with Tuition Reimbursement for Undergrad, Technical, and Graduate Programs.
Financial Security: We offer a 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan to secure your financial future.
Healthcare: Your health is essential, and we provide Health, Dental, and Vision Care.
Flexible Spending: Take advantage of HSA, FSA, and Dependent Care plans for added flexibility.
Insurance: We've got you covered with Short-Term and Long-Term disability insurance.
Competitive Salaries: Your hard work is rewarded with competitive salaries.
Ready to be part of a company that values you as much as your skills and expertise? Join VSE and let’s take your career to new heights while ensuring your well-being every step of the way.
Come grow with us. Your future begins here. Apply TODAY!
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Salary
- United States