Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is an anti-poverty organization working to end homelessness in the New York area by 2050. We operate over 60 programs across New York City, Northern New Jersey and Westchester County including emergency, transitional and permanent housing. Our services extend to families experiencing homelessness, survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, youth aging out of foster care, adults with behavioral health or substance use needs, and others in need, including a special education preschool program.
We are in search of new talent in the following position…
Position: Residential Counselor
The Residential Counselor is responsible for assisting in the case management and treatment plan implementation for the consumers. The residential counselor provides direct care services to the consumers, including but not limited to transportation, support, teaching, crisis intervention, and case management.
Alletta House is a group home that serves consumers who have a developmental and co-occurring psychiatric disability. To learn more about the program, copy and paste this link into a browser https://www.voa-gny.org/new-jersey-behavioral-health
Location: 501 Alletta Street • Plainfield, NJ 07060
Employees receive an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, life insurance, a retirement plan, paid personal leave, and much more.
The position shall have one of the following: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a mental health, health or other appropriate human services related discipline; a license as a registered nurse; a combination of one or more years of college, plus related work or life experience together equaling four years. The individual is required to have at least one year of related work or life experience if the four-year college degree does not meet the requirements above. A license as a practical nurse plus two years of related work or life experience or a high school diploma or the equivalent, plus four years of related work or life experience. This position shall also have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record for a minimum of 24 months.
When “related work or life experience” is relied upon to meet staff qualifications, the personnel file shall clearly document the “related work or life experience” and how it relates to the job duties and responsibilities for the position in which the individual is being hired.
Residential Counselor Principal Responsibilities:
- On-site consumer resident supervision or support including but not limited teaching, behavioral modeling, assistance to complete ADL’s, and other tasks.
- Communicating observations and information about the consumer resident to the program manager, RN, DDD case manager and other treatment team members.
- Supervising, organizing and supporting recreational and/or socialization activities for consumers.
- Assist consumers in the self-administration of medication.
- Residential counseling
- Crisis intervention services (but not including crisis intervention counseling)
- Participation in the development of the individual habilitation plan and other required assessments.
- Participation in individual service coordination activities.
- Documenting observations, information and services provided to the consumer resident in progress notes.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Cooperate with Volunteers of America and/or State of New Jersey Division staff in any inspection and/or investigation.
To learn more about VOA-Greater New York, copy and paste this link into a browser: https://www.voa-gny.org/about
VOA-Greater New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories. Apply today!
- Job Family CASE MANAGEMENT
- Job Function Counseling
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $16.50
- Max Hiring Rate $16.50
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Alletta House, 501 Alletta St, Plainfield, New Jersey, United States of America
- Plainfield, NJ, USA