Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is an anti-poverty organization working to end homelessness in the New York area by 2050. We operate over 60 programs across New York City, Northern New Jersey and Westchester County including emergency, transitional and permanent housing. Our services extend to families experiencing homelessness, survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, youth aging out of foster care, adults with behavioral health or substance use needs, and others in need, including a special education preschool program.
We are in search of new talent in the following position…
Position: Preschool Special Education Substitute Teacher
In the absence of an assigned Teacher for the classroom due to a vacancy, and under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director/Program Coordinator, the Substitute Teacher will provide instruction to students, document student progress, ensure the safety of the students and adhere to the professional standards recommended by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
The Bronx Early Learning Center is a vibrant and nurturing special education preschool. To learn more about the program, copy and paste this link into a browser https://www.voa-gny.org/belc
Location: 1887 Bathgate Avenue, Bronx NY 10457
Employees receive an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, life insurance, a retirement plan, paid personal leave, and much more. Staff at the BELC also enjoy a convenient weekday schedule (Monday to Friday) that follows a school calendar.
Working towards a Master’s degree with New York State certification as a collegiate student at the rate of not less than six semester hours per year or completion of a Master’s degree and in the process of taking the required teacher examinations to be eligible for New York State certification. If employed on a long- term basis in this capacity (more than 40 days) must be employed to teach in the subject area for which certification is being sought (students with disabilities birth – grade 2).
Substitute Teacher Principal Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the assignment of the Teacher Assistant(s)/Teacher Aide(s) to work with individual students or groups of students on instructional projects and activities.
- Meet with the Assistant Director to plan instructional activities and lesson plans following The Creative Curriculum format.
- Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, write individual anecdotal records and work with the Assistant Director on the preparation of the Individualized Education Program (IEP) and the monitoring of student progress.
- Communicate with parents verbally and in writing under the direction of the Assistant Director.
- Participate in team meetings for students.
- Following the early learning center manual and health and safety plans, monitor the safety and well-being of the students.
To learn more about VOA-Greater New York, copy and paste this link into a browser: https://www.voa-gny.org/about
VOA-Greater New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories. Apply today!
- Job Family Early Childhood Development - Education
- Job Function Education
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $24.59
- Max Hiring Rate $24.59
- Required Education Master’s Degree
- Bronx Early Learning Center, 1887 Bathgate Avenue, Bronx, New York, United States of America
- Bronx, NY, USA