Closes: May 23rd, 2023
Department: Community Family Services
The Outreach Coordinator works collaboratively to conduct outreach activities that prevent alcohol and substance abuse within the Puyallup community, with the intention of developing a platform to educate the membership and at-risk individuals about pathways to wellness.
- Works closely with the Director on all phases of the program and fill in as needed within their scope of work.
- Participates in prevention summits, trainings, meetings, and conducts ongoing research of best and promising practice substance and alcohol abuse prevention curricula.
- With input from the Director of Community Family Services, develop an annual substance and alcohol abuse outreach calendar, to include outreach activities and collaborative events.
- Presents and engages the community with substance abuse prevention at Gathering of Nations events, Canoe Journey, Wellness Powwow, and monthly recovery birthday meetings.
- Writes articles for the Tribal Newspaper on a bi-weekly basis, regarding education, prevention, and stories of recovery.
- Educate the community about what services are provided by Community Family Services and how to access services.
- Assist the Director with research and planning of outreach resources Work collaboratively and respectfully with Community Family Services staff, Social Services staff, Administration and support staff.
- Work collaboratively with Case Manager(s) from the Tribal programs to provide information about available treatment services and enhance service delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position does not supervise staff.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma required. Substance Use Disorder Professional (SUDP) or two years of related experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Intermediate experience and knowledge using word processing and spreadsheets (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.).
Employee must demonstrate the ability to interact tactfully and positively with Tribal members, all levels of staff and management. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to management, employees and groups of people, as well as respond to questions
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions and apply them to practical situations.
Licenses or Certificates
Must pass a criminal background check; must not have any felony convictions.
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license. Driver’s license must not contain any restrictions that would prevent the employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
Knowledge of principles and practices of substance and alcohol abuse prevention.
Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
Strong knowledge of Native American culture and issues facing Native Americans.
To be eligible for this position, this person must maintain their sobriety and either have been sober for the past two years or never had an issue with drugs/alcohol.
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The Noise Level Is Moderate.
- The Physical Exertion is Moderate.
- Work may frequently be performed outside of an office setting.
- There are frequent employee, client and customer contacts during the day.
- Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed.
- Requires occasional travel using employee's own transportation.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA