Registered Dietician - Per Diem
Responsible to: Food Service Director/Director of Program Supports
Job Summary: The RD (Registered Dietician) enhances life by helping prevent and manage disease through healthy nutrition. In conjunction with the FSD (Food Service Director) and DPS (Director of Program Supports), the RD is responsible for ensuring optimal nutrition therapy for individuals in our care. This involves the assessment of nutritional status, treatments and interventions including; diet therapy, counseling, planning, consulting with other disciplines, and educating individuals on nutritional needs. The RD ensures compliance with National School Lunch Program (NSLP) planning menus that meet the requirements through appropriate menu analysis utilizing the Nutri-kids software. The menu should be planned for in a manner that is able to be produced and delivered through a commissary style kitchen serving a heavy volume of meals. Menus should be created to fit into the various programs budget.
This position starts at an hourly rate of $24.00 - $33.67 per hour USD, or higher, depending on years of qualified experience.
Essential Job Duties:
- Identifies individuals with nutrition needs, assesses nutritional needs according to age, disease and specific needs/disabilities.
- Develops and implements nutrition care plans and education programs.
- In the RTF program will complete an initial assessment within the first 10 days of admission.
- Coordinate with DTR to ensure nutritional needs are met for the I/DD residential individuals.
- Prioritizes schedule to assess the needs of the incoming residents as needed. Ensures that upon intake/admission, special nutritional needs are communicated to the FSD and/or residential staff and modifies menus to accommodate for special diet needs.
- Knowledge of frequently prescribed medications, interactions and nutritional impact of residents.
- Prepares diet labels for all special diets in our residential care programs.
- Under the direction of the FSD creates menus that can be prepared and delivery in a commissary kitchen and fit into the programs budgets.
- Produces annual, semi-annual clinical assessments and care plans for residential programs as required.
- Responds to Nutrition referrals received for the individuals in the I/DD residential program.
- Attends Multi-D meetings upon referral and Life Plan meetings/staff meetings as needed.
- Must have a strong understanding of the current National School Lunch Program and ensures compliance with menu planning in conjunction with the FSD.
- Inputs menu, recipe, product, and production data into Nutri-Kids program. Must have a strong working knowledge of the software program.
- Counsels individuals on nutritional practices designed to prevent, and/or manage chronic disease and promote good health.
- Prepares special needs menus that comply with NSLP.
- In the I/DD residential program, prepares/reviews the Diet Order Prescription Form (DOPF) before it is sent to the PMD for signature and ensures that the Nutrition Guides and Therap Guides are updated accordingly with any new/revised diet order.
- Generates nutritional reports by reviewing, collecting essential clinical data from medical record/ Therap EMR.
- Calculates caloric and nutrient values of therapeutic diets, menus and recipes.
- Work closely with multiple departments, including but not limited to, nursing, residential staff, ancillary services, environmental services and community medical staff.
- In conjunction with the Food Service Department implements nutritional/wellness training programs for students, residents and staff as required by NSLP.
- Maintains appropriate continuing education credits as required by NSLP and RD licensure
- Perform other job-related duties assigned by supervisor.
- Computer skills.
- Nutri-Kids software program.
- NSLP knowledge.
- Effective communication skills.
- Communication: Oral and written
- Attention to detail: Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Adaptability: Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Teamwork ability: Job requires preferring to work with others rather than alone, and being personally connected with others on the job
- Leadership skills: Creates a vision or goal for one`s work unit and communicates it in a way that motivates others to implement it. Understands and leverages the organization`s structure and relationships and pursues organization support and resources
Minimum Degree Required: Master’s Degree in Dietetics
Minimum Experience Required: 1-3 years
Required License/Registration/ Certification: Registered Dietician
- New Hire Orientation
The overall nature of the position is sedentary requiring little physical effort with occasional light physical exertion required. There is little, if any, exposure to environmental conditions
- The constant physical demand of the position is sitting.
- The frequent physical demands of the position are standing, walking, climbing, talking, hearing, repetitive motions, and eye/hand/foot coordination.
- The occasional physical demands of the position are lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, handling, grasping, and feeling
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $24.00
- Max Hiring Rate $33.66
- Job Start Date Monday, May 22, 2023
- 150 Martin Rd, Buffalo, NY 14218, USA