Assistant Teacher I
Oak Hill is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Assistant Teacher I (ATI) to provide hands-on classroom support to individuals with Developmental and other Disabilities. This person will inspire others and make a life changing impact while achieving professional growth and personal fulfillment. Oak Hill sets the standard, partnering with people with disabilities, to provide services and solutions promoting independence, education, health, and dignity. This role will help expand Oak Hill’s ability to identify and address diverse needs within the community. Along with the individuals we serve, Oak Hill is committed to empowering our staff. When you join our team as an ATI, our team will support you to reach your career goals. We offer professional development, tuition reimbursement, and career pathways that allow you to develop your career while an Oak Hill employee.
About the position:
The ATI at Oak Hill’s New Hartford Classroom works 35 hours/week, Monday thru Friday 8am-3pm provides support to Special Education Teachers in the classroom, preparing lessons, teaching students, providing direct support assistance. ATI will assist with behavior management during lessons, tracking students’ behavior and setting up classroom materials before class as assigned. Applicants with no experience and interested in entering the education or direct care field with a desire to serve people with disabilities, or individuals seeking a career change are encouraged to apply to this position.
- High school diploma or GED
- At least age 18
- Valid driver’s license
- A Public Service license with a V endorsement is required during the initial employment period, and this is facilitated through Oak Hill. “V” endorsement is required for operation of a student transportation vehicle, transporting students to and from school, including vehicles transporting special education students. Applicants or holders of a public passenger endorsement must have an acceptable driving record. (Add only if applicable to the position)
- Generous Paid Vacation, Sick, and Personal Time, Plus Paid Holidays
- Affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits (Oak Hill pays 50% of your medical deductible)
- 403(b) Retirement Plan (Oak Hill contributes 5% at no cost to you)
- Free and Low-Cost Life Insurance Options and Free Long-term Disability Insurance
- Excellent Professional Development Opportunities; Tuition Reimbursement; Career Pathways
- Staff Recognition and Appreciation
- Paid Training, Education, and Certification as necessary (including CPR training)
This is a union position and pays $17.25 per hour.
Under the direct supervisor of the Special Education Teacher:
- Assists students in achieving social and academic development (add this bullet)
- Reinforce lessons by reviewing material one-on-one and in small groups with students.
- Assists in fostering student engagement, creating, and maintaining a supportive learning environment. (add this bullet)
- Model appropriate behaviors to assist students in developing appropriate social skills (add this bullet)
- Encourages student independence and implementing prescribed behavioral management plans.
- Assists students in learning self-care techniques, including toileting and personal hygiene, eating, dressing and other personal care tasks.
- Assists teachers with ongoing observation and documentation.
- Help teachers maintain records for student progress and program development.
- Get materials and equipment ready to help teachers prepare for class.
- Supervise students during lunch or breaks, as well as in between classes and on field trips.
- Transport students on field trips.
- Assist students who may need additional help learning a specific concept.
- Assists in fostering student engagement.
We support equality for and advancement of all people, based on their qualifications and actions alone, without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin or disability.
- Pay Type Hourly