County Executive Intern
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
County Executive Intern
Department: County Executive
Hourly Pay Rate: $15.00/hr
The Office of Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley is seeking two (2) paid interns. The County Executive is the head of the executive branch of Milwaukee County’s government, leading the nearly 20 departments that provide critical services and infrastructure to its residents. Interns will assist in responding to constituent concerns via phone, email, and letters; draft written deliverables like policy reports, social media posts, communications materials, and proclamations; and monitor the day-to-day issues affecting Milwaukee County with the objective of increasing the intern’s knowledge of and exposure to the systems and function of local government. This internship exists in order to assist people in building the skills they need to be successful in their professional careers and to help foster a continued sense of public service within their communities.
Schedule: Interns will work less than twenty (20) hours per week.
- Constituent Services Support - Interns will assist in documenting, monitoring, and responding to constituent concerns via phone, email, and letters. Further, interns will assist in generating and distributing constituency reports, as well as track the trends of the kind of constituent cases appearing within the County Executive’s office.
- Written Communications - Interns will assist in the creation of first drafts for various written documents such as proclamations, social media content, press releases, appointment letters, congratulatory notes, thank you letters, and other written communications.
- Front Desk Coverage - Interns will support front desk operations by directing constituent calls to the correct individuals, offices, and departments and providing support to in-person contacts.
- Administrative Tasks - Interns will assist on various administrative tasks in order to support an efficient workflow within the Office of the County Executive. These tasks could include, for example, the creation and maintenance of spreadsheets, filing of records, scheduling, updating of CRM tools such as Salesforce, and tracking of legislation.
- Special Projects - Interns will assist on various projects supporting the mission of the executive branch that arise due to the continuously shifting atmosphere of the department. These projects may be assigned by the Senior Constituent Services Specialist, or by other members of the office, including those working in legislative affairs, community relations, communications, and other fields.
- Ability to push, pull, carry and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, License/Certification and Experiences
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency required
- Experience or current major in Political Science, Public Administration, Economics, Urban Studies, Journalism, Public Relations or Communications preferred
- Intermediate knowledge of all related computer and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Teams required
- Basic knowledge or previous use of a CRM tools such as Salesforce preferred
Note: This unclassified position is open to all qualified applicants authorized to work in the United States. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Function 6 Administrative Support
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Required Education Some College
- 901 N 9th St, Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA