Editor of The Hamburg Sun
The Hamburg Sun is looking for a motivated and organized journalist with strong news judgement to lead its community news coverage. The Sun has served Hamburg and the surrounding communities since 1875. It is a weekly newspaper with important stories to tell, from news development and school district issues to municipality watchdog work and high school sports coverage.
The Sun is looking for an editor who will prioritize enterprise journalism that connects the dots for readers and scrutinizes decision-makers. This work will be balanced with coverage of powerful institutions and well told stories about the community’s people and passages.
The Sun staff also produces Sun+, a paid subscription newsletter product focused on real estate, restaurants and development across the Southtowns. Sun+ has been well received by readers and is growing. It is the center of The Sun’s digital strategy.
The Sun editor will have strong editing and copy-editing skills. This leader will also be a teacher that can help the staff reporter and community contributors improve their reporting and writing.
The editor will understand the connection between great journalism and economic sustainability. They will seek new opportunities to solidify The Sun as not just a news organization, but as a community asset.
The successful candidate will be prepared to:
▪ Direct, support and develop a staff of reporters and community contributors charged with deeply covering the community.
▪ Ensure smooth, on-time production of each week’s print edition.
▪ Reimagine The Sun’s digital presence, both through Sun+ and social media platforms.
▪ Lead by example as a reporter covering a major beat.
▪ Manage the publication’s editorial finances and keep the news operation on budget.
▪ Leverage the content provided by contributing writers and photographers.
▪ Serve as a representative of The Sun in the community, from fielding reader inquiries to building partnerships with key stakeholders.
▪ Partner with advertising and circulation teams to identify and pursue opportunities to build audience and revenue, while maintaining editorial independence and integrity.
The successful candidate will articulate how they will:
▪ Lead the staff to tackle increasingly ambitious journalism challenges.
▪ Ensure that The Sun facilitates meaningful, well informed community conversations.
▪ Continuously iterate to improve the digital and print products, grow audience and open new revenue opportunities.
▪ Develop new talent and partnerships.
▪ Foster experimentation that is connected to clear goals and outcomes.
The Buffalo News/Lee Enterprises is an equal employment, affirmative action employer. All candidates will be required to complete a post offer background check, physical, and drug screen.
Why Join Us?
Lee Enterprises offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This includes paid parental leave for new parents.
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of high-quality local news, with 77 daily newspapers in 26 states that have print, digital and e-replica versions. Lee's newspapers have a combined circulation of more than 1.2 million daily. Our digital sites attract more than 44 million unique visits monthly. We also have a rapidly growing roster of digital products for consumers, and are committed to aggressive digital growth.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting and retaining a workforce whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. Lee embraces change, and we recognize that we must create and maintain a culture of fervent inclusion. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.