Assistant Sports Editor
Join the Action!
The news business never stops! The Sioux City Journal, a Lee Enterprises, Inc. publication is seeking an energetic Assistant Sports Editor to support company objectives by being part of a two-person sports department for our award-winning newspaper and website.
This position requires night and weekend availability. A journalism, communications or English degree is required, and previous newspaper experience is preferred. Candidates also should have interest in and familiarity with high school sports.
Are you Ready?
This position reports to the Sports Editor, this position will have a mix of editing, administrative and writing duties to include:
* Running the night sports desk, including editing staff, freelance and wire copy to AP and local style while working with our regional design team to meet print deadlines.
* Assisting the sports editor with daily tasks, including assigning photos and videos and updating social media feeds.
* Writing stories, features and columns with a focus on high school and college teams in Northwest Iowa, Northeast Nebraska and Southeast South Dakota.
* A willingness to be digitally savvy. Every game covered should have at least one video component to it, whether it be a highlight or an interview with an athlete.
* A willingness to be on live video streams and podcasts. Knowledge of audio and video editing is helpful.
* Required to do at least 2-3 desk shifts per week, either with print or E-Edition.
* A commitment to at least two-plus years.
* Being organized and coming with 100% energy on a daily basis is key to success
If you have the talent, we are looking for, apply at https://lee.net/careers/ and search for Sioux City, IA.
Why Join Us?
Lee Enterprises offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This includes paid parental leave for new parents.
Lee Enterprises is a major subscription and advertising platform and a leading provider of local news and information, with daily newspapers, rapidly growing digital products and nearly 350 weekly and specialty publications serving 75 markets in 26 states. Year to date, Lee's newspapers have an average daily circulation of 1.0 million, and our legacy websites, including acquisitions, reach more than 34 million digital unique visitors.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting and retaining a workforce whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. Lee embraces change, and we recognize that we must create and maintain a culture of fervent inclusion. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If
you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.
- Job Family News
- Pay Type Hourly
- Sioux City, IA, USA