Liability Claim Specialist
Remote, Hybrid or In-Office
Monday – Friday
FLSA Status: Exempt
What is Landstar?
At Landstar, we stand for safe, secure, and reliable transportation services delivered by a network of independent freight agents, leased owner-operators, and other third-party capacity providers. Landstar offers customized shipping solutions in all modes of freight transportation, while providing an efficient and reliable supply chain that meets our customers’ needs and goals.
Why work at Landstar?
Landstar relies on the expertise, hard work and dedication of our employees to exceed expectations of those we serve. We have a highly diverse workforce that welcomes employees from all cultures and backgrounds to our team.
Our workplace culture is second-to-none. Landstar is a great place to work if you want to be part of a top-notch freight transportation provider with an emphasis on safety, service, teamwork, and dedication. Landstar provides a safe and professional work environment in which to thrive and grow.
We pride ourselves with providing multiple opportunities for growth and development. When we have a position to fill, we first tap into our internal talent. We encourage continuous learning through various courses, webinars, and other training, to help employees improve their knowledge and develop new skills. With competitive compensation, robust benefit plans including affordable medical plans, employer 401k match, paid time off, tuition assistance and much more, Landstar employees are well supported as reflected in our employees’ longevity!
At the end of the day, Landstar is an amazing place to work with a positive and enriching workplace culture.
What work will I perform at Landstar?
Investigate and evaluate third party bodily injury and property damage liability claims in the strict government regulated and high exposure trucking industry including litigation, reaching a fair and equitable resolution considering all factual material, applicable laws, rules and regulations
- Review initial accident/incident details, parties, damages or injuries involved
- Verify insured’s compliance with all applicable DOT/FMCSR regulatory requirements
- Ensure preservation of pertinent driver, tractor and company records & documents
- Conduct detailed investigative activity on accident facts, injuries and damages
- Interview involved parties, witnesses and unrepresented claimants
- Incorporate applicable rule of negligence in liability evaluations based on jurisdiction
- Respond timely to extensive legal discovery demands, interrogatories and requests for production of documents.
- Identify internal parties in preparation for depositions
- Establish reserves based on available claim information, investigation and liability assessment
- Attend mediations and settlement conferences as required
- Comply with state specific claims practice rules and regulations
- Comply with the company's policies, practices, and procedures
Experience needed for the role
- Must have an awareness and understanding of the potential risks associated with trucking accidents
- Possess a general awareness of tort law, rules of negligence, measure of damages and statutory or general claims handling practices
- Recognition of electronic discovery and preservation of evidence
- Display sound negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution skills
- Maintain multi-state licensing, CE credits and stay current with the trucking industry
- Working knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel and PDF document formats
- Familiarity with electronic claims processing systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- An understanding of auto liability, general liability, physical damage, UM/UIM, No Fault (PIP) insurance coverage and WC liens
- Ability to travel throughout the U.S. or Canada
What you need to bring to Landstar
- Minimum of a two-year college degree with demonstrated continued learning
- At least three years related high exposure liability claims experience either in the transportation industry or similarly from a commercial trucking insurer perspective
- CPCU or Certificate in Risk Management a plus
- Florida adjuster license required. Must qualify for multi-state licensing
- Must have a valid driver's license
Landstar is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Landstar will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Landstar uses application information only for employment related purposes, including background investigations and regulatory compliance. Landstar will not disclose the information to any other person or entity, unless compelled by force of law. Landstar stores your application information on computers operated by Ceridian. This on-line application software is provided by Ceridian under an agreement which specifies that Ceridian will not disclose or make any use of application information stored on its secure servers.
- Pay Type Salary
- Alabama, USA
- Florida, USA
- Georgia, USA
- Illinois, USA
- Kentucky, USA
- Landstar Risk Management, 13410 Sutton Park Dr S, Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America
- Texas, USA