Taylor Swift Reporter
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Taylor Swift Reporter
USA TODAY and The Tennessean/tennessean.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeking an experienced, video-forward journalist to capture the music and cultural impact of Taylor Swift.
Swift's fanbase has grown to unprecedented heights, and so has the significance of her music and growing legacy. We are looking for an energetic writer, photographer and social media pro who can quench an undeniable thirst for all things Taylor Swift with a steady stream of content across multiple platforms. Seeing both the facts and the fury, the Taylor Swift reporter will identify why the pop star’s influence only expands, what her fanbase stands for in pop culture, and the effect she has across the music and business worlds.
The successful candidate is a driven, creative and energetic journalist able to capture the excitement around Swift's ongoing tour and upcoming album release, while also providing thoughtful analysis of her music and career.
We are looking for a journalist with a voice — but not a bias — able to quickly cultivate a national audience through smart content designed to meet readers on their terms. This reporter will chronicle the biggest moments on the next portions of Taylor Swift’s tour, offering readers of USA TODAY, The Tennessean and more than 200 local news sources an inside view.
This journalist must be willing (and legally allowed) to travel internationally.
This position is remote and can be based anywhere in the US, except for Alaska and Hawaii or based at our headquarters in McLean, VA. If you live near one of our local newsrooms, you may have the option to use that as a base of operations.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism, marketing or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least five years of journalism experience working in a digital-first newsroom.
- Proven success in creating relevant, shareable stories that serve a loyal audience.
- A nose for finding interesting stories that take readers beyond what’s trending to highlight intriguing subjects with sophisticated and succinct storytelling.
- A commitment to experimentation with purpose in the search for creative ways to bring the biggest national stories to readers in fresh and relevant ways, no matter where they find our coverage.
- The ability to work collaboratively with a nationwide team of reporters, editors, photographers and producers to tell meaningful stories that serve specific audiences.
- A clear and concise writing style.
- A thorough understanding of metrics and how to use data to understand audience behavior and to inform coverage decisions.
- Firm command of AP Style.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Ability to report in more than one language preferred.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your written resume – one to two pages.
- A video cover letter that tells us via video why you are great for this role.
- Links to 4-8 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The hourly rate for this role will range between $21.63 and $50.87. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Content Production
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States