To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
The Statesman Journal/statesmanjournal.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a skilled, creative photojournalist and videographer to join its talented news team.
The visuals team is a proven driver of page view volume and a builder of social engagement for print, digital and social media channels for the Oregon newsrooms in Salem and Eugene as well as the part of the USA TODAY NETWORK.
This visual journalist will use digital metrics to understand success is related to effort on content, what topics continue to drive audience and what visual content merits repackaging to extend audience reach.
Tapping into the Statesman Journal’s archives, this staffer will own creating and publishing an archive gallery each week to tap into the proven popularity of these.
They also will ID in advance opportunities for big wins on breaking, tent pole topics such as wildfires, Oregon outdoors and high school sports, contribute to posting at least three IG Reels a week and ensure we have a variety of galleries and other photo-driven social posts for rapid follower growth.
Salem is Oregon’s state capital. The Statesman Journal covers Marion and Polk counties in the Mid-Willamette Valley, home to hundreds of vineyards and wineries and craft breweries. Salem is one hour from Portland, 90 minutes from the Oregon Coast, and amazing outdoor experiences are even closer.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors to produce compelling visual storytelling about the people and places in our community.
- Shoot and edit short-form video thatresonates with viewers as a visual companion to stories by playing to medium's audio and visual framework to inform and entertain.
- Understanding and experience shooting, editing, optimizing and posting video for social media platforms including Instagram, TikTok and YouTube, including live video coverage, to ensure wide reach of content.
- Cover and produce photo galleries that give readers exclusive access and context related to breaking news, tent-pole events, sports action and unique community events.
- Able to create self-generated visual storytelling and ideas, including features and portraits.
- Strong headline and caption writing that can aid storytelling and help the visuals to stand on their own, including an understanding of SEO.
- Promote your work on social media, creatively leveraging the tools of key social media platforms and work to develop a personal brand that helps build audience for your own work and the content brand.
- The photographer/videographer collaborates with reporters and editors to produce compelling storytelling about the people and places in and around Salem. Assignments will include a mix of breaking news, sports action, features, portraits, photo galleries, video and self-generated visual storytelling.
- This journalist also must be a strong writer, able to quickly write accurate, informative captions, copy blocks and short stories.
- Visual journalists also are expected to build diverse sources to help alert the staff to spot news, trends and community concerns.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and strong collaboration skills are musts.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have substantial professional experience as a visual journalist, through internships, freelance or full-time jobs.
- Exceptional core photojournalism skills in reporting, photography and videography.
- Experience with multimedia storytelling techniques on a variety of platforms.
- Experience with shooting and editing on an iPhone.
- Ability to use basic and advanced computer programs, including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and Photo Mechanic.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Understands social media and how to respond and engage a fan base on digital platforms.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Proficient in writing, spelling, grammar and AP style.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Creative & Design
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Salem, OR, USA