Greenville County reporter
Greenville, SC, USA Req #37624
Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally-focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer Prize-winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Our current portfolio of media assets includes The USA TODAY NETWORK, which includes USA TODAY, and local media organizations in 43 states in the United States, and Newsquest, a wholly-owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom. We also own digital marketing services companies under the brand LocaliQ, which provide a cloud-based platform of products to enable small and medium-sized businesses to accomplish their marketing goals. In addition, our portfolio includes one of the largest media-owned events businesses in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
Gannett open roles are featured on various external job boards. When applying to a position at Gannett, you should be completing an application on Gannett Careers via Dayforce. Job postings directing you to complete an application on other external sites may not be valid.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
The Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a Greenville County politics and growth and development reporter. Already the largest county in South Carolina, Greenville County‘s population is expected to grow by 222,000 residents and 86,000 new jobs by 2040. The population today is more than 500,000.
This reporter will:
- Serve as a watchdog of County Council, the Planning Commission and report on topical issues related to the Greenville County Public Library and its controversial Board of Trustees.
- Be expected to write both quick turn stories on Spartanburg County news of the day as well as more in-depth enterprise stories and longer-term investigations.
- Monitor the workings of county government but will focus on how new development is changing the landscape and quality of life in suburban Greenville County, especially in Simpsonville, Mauldin and Fountain Inn.
- Be expected to consistently break news about new commercial and residential developments, sift out trends before others see them and examine what’s getting built, what’s not and how that impacts the lives of residents.
- Source development is critical to the beat, including county administrators, developers, planning and zoning officials, land use experts and neighborhood association leaders.
- Equity and inclusion are central to our reporting.
- All of our reporters handle occasional general assignments and breaking news.
- We expect anyone who works with us to be constantly improving their skills. We offer a robust Gannett-wide training program.
We’re a newsroom that values excellence in journalism and work-life balance. And Greenville is a great place to find that balance. Upstate South Carolina is halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte. We’re three hours from the beach, less than an hour form the mountains. As the anchor of one of South Carolina’s largest and fastest growing metropolitan areas, Greenville offers a vibrant nightlife, a nationally recognized food scene and one of the most envied downtowns in the region.
- Work toward becoming the community’s leading voice in Greenville County politics and growth and development reporting.
- Connect with the community through storytelling.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues that effect residents and families.
- Work with a content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- College degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit and experience engaging readers in this public space.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Ability to multitask and excel in a fast-paced environment under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills and knowledge of AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
When you apply, let us know how you fit this role and show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to three to six online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or helped produce that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Greenville, SC, USA