Local Government Watchdog Reporter
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Local Government Watchdog Reporter
The Register-Guard/registerguard.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a Local Government Watchdog Reporter to cover the cities of Eugene and Springfield, Oregon and Lane County.
This reporter will be responsible for covering a range of stories in our community that builds a following by informing and engaging readers.
We want this reporter to know what city and county governments are doing for citizens and the community through community outreach, source building, and tracking the efficiency and effectiveness of government.
Flexibility is key for this position, which includes coverage of city councils, but it is much more than a city hall beat. The reporter will be expected to create both quick turn-around on the news of the day as well as regular watchdog enterprise, focusing on government accountability and solutions reporting based on issues and concerns from community members and neighborhoods.
We are a digital first newsroom, with reporters working with editors to shape the best way to tell individual stories, from text to audio to video to Q&A or other alternative formats.
The successful candidate must have a passion for telling stories quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, and always with accuracy.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs and engages specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in the area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues
- Works with editor to evaluate metrics, what's working, what's not, and to develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate to provide all appropriate elements for stories, such as photos, videos, and graphics. Captures basic photos and videos as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues, and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-5 years of experience with storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Must have technical skills – basic understanding use of metrics, Microsoft Office Suite, videography, and photography.
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advance knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in public space.
- Basic photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP, and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principle of Ethical Conduct.
- Must have required skills - social media, storytelling, analytical ability, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Oregon, USA