To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
The Argus Leader/argusleader.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a skilled, creative photojournalist and videographer to lead its visual coverage.
The photographer/videographer will collaborate with reporters and editors to produce compelling storytelling about the people and places of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Assignments will include a mix of breaking news, sports, features and portraits, using still images, video and/or writing as applicable. Self-generated multimedia projects are encouraged alongside teamwork with reporters.
This journalist must also be a strong writer, able to quickly write accurate, informative captions, copy blocks and short stories.
All Argus Leader journalists are expected to promote their work on social media, understand digital metrics and work to build an audience for their own work and all Argus Leader content.
The photographer/videographer will work to build connections with diverse sources to help identify spot news, trends and community concerns. Flexibility, resourcefulness and strong collaboration skills are musts.
Alongside content creation, this journalist will be considered the newsroom’s visual voice. They will regularly participate in conversations about coverage to highlight multimedia opportunities and help ensure visuals are considered throughout the full reporting process.
Sioux Falls, the largest city in the state, is growing by leaps and bounds and is home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and a large community of young professionals living and working downtown.
The Argus Leader visuals staff has long been recognized for its excellence, winning state and national photo recognition, including South Dakota Outstanding Journalist of the Year.
- Creates quality multimedia storytelling using photography, videography and text that informs, entertains and engages our audience.
- Collaborates and connects with the community through visual storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Works with content coaches and other journalists to evaluate what works and what doesn't and develops ongoing plans to satisfy audience needs better.
- Uses audience metrics to assist in making coverage decisions.
- Promotes their own work and the work of their colleagues.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have substantial professional experience as a visual journalist through internships, freelance or full-time jobs.
- Exceptional core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography.)
- Experience with multimedia storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience with photographing/filming and editing on an iPhone or Android.
- Ability to use computer programs including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and Photo Mechanic.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Understands social media and how to respond and engage an audience on digital platforms.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Proficient in writing, spelling, grammar and AP style.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Photography & Video
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- South Dakota, USA