General Manager - Hotel Les Mars
The General Manager is directly responsible for the hotel's operation, including profitability, guest service, product quality, and overall cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel property.
• Lead the hotel team utilizing a participative style, be readily available and effectively communicate with each member, coordinate the operation of each individual's department and special projects, and assist in identifying problems and solutions.
• Guide the committee in dealing with the hotel's problems and opportunities to serve the financial interests of the property best.
• Create a customer-responsive culture where exceptional customer service prevails.
• Coordination of stay details for VIPs and act as the point of contact
• Development of an annual operating budget, which will serve as an operating plan and define required levels of achievement.
• Assure achievement of the annual budget in revenues, costs, and profits through accounting diligence and expenditure controls, and proficient accounting practices.
• Set written priorities and key objectives for each department head quarterly, including action plan and completion date.
• Follow up to ensure successful implementation and follow-through and take corrective action in the event of failure to meet assigned objectives.
• Monthly forecasting of operating staff and cost expenditure.
• Acts as the primary liaison for accounting in researching chargebacks, deposits, or other finance-related issues and responds in a timely manner
• Adhere to monthly financial reporting deadlines
• Protect and enhance the value of all hotel assets through appropriate programs in Maintenance, Housekeeping, and through the capital budgeting process.
P & L Statement
• Monthly review of financial statements in order to correct problems, ensure spending is in line, and plan for future business.
• Regularly review all major expenses.
• Communicate, counsel, and assist in staff development.
• Be visible and available to all personnel in accordance with the Company's open-door policy.
• Lead monthly department employee meetings or appoint a leader to run the employee meeting.
• Actively participate in the hiring process of all exempt & non-exempt employees in all operating departments
• Conduct performance appraisal and personal development plans for management staff.
• Identify substandard performance of individual managers and outline improvement action, including taking corrective or disciplinary measures.
• Assure level of experience, knowledge, and ability to meet job requirements of all hotel management.
• Cost Controls Review controls and always assure adherence in order to protect the hotel's property/assets.
Wage and Salary Administration
• Review all wage and salary increases assuring compliance with wage scales and compensation philosophies as outlined in the budget.
• Future Business Quarterly review of future bookings of room nights and banquet sales, early identification of weak periods, and implementing yield management practices.
• Quarterly review of pricing, including review of cost increases and competitive pricing in room rates, restaurant, and lounge.
• Assure recommendation and implementation of price increases on a timely basis.
• Regular personal inspection of guest rooms, public areas, and the back of the house. Ensure that written lists are developed of corrective actions required for implementation by housekeeping, maintenance, and operating departments.
• Guest service through leadership and example, establish a friendly, courteous, service-oriented approach to guests that is exhibited by all hotel employees.
• Establish and implement guest service standards for all departments, periodically review, and identify problems and corrective actions.
• Assure that an ongoing program is followed in regular repair and upkeep of the facility, landscape, and equipment by developing and implementing a preventive maintenance program.
• Development of annual sales and marketing plan in coordination with VP of Sales & Marketing
• Monitor implementation of marketing plan action steps.
• Regular review of sales solicitation activities, room nights productivity, and group room rates sold by the sales department.
• Regularly review individual productivity taking corrective action and guiding as needed.
• Evaluate market mix and take action in order to best position the hotel for increased business.
• Involvement in sales solicitation of key accounts by reviewing contracts, meeting with the sales department, visit key account contacts in person and by phone.
• Food and Beverage Promotion
• Monitor the success of F&B promotion programs. Take corrective actions as required.
• Monitor sales levels in order to take steps to reverse negative sales trends.
Front Office Management
• Regular review of Front Office results in order to maximize room revenue.
• Identify problem areas and initiate solutions.
• Anticipate internal/external guests’ needs, respond promptly, and acknowledge all guests, however busy and at whatever time of day.
• Maintain positive internal/external guest relations at all times.
• Maintain complete knowledge at all times of the status of hotel room count, group arrival, VIPs, special events, and knowledge of job responsibility of staff.
• Represent the hotel within the local community, positioning the hotel as a good corporate citizen that is involved and supportive of community affairs.
Policies and Procedures
• Assure all Company policies and procedures are fully implemented throughout the hotel.
A four-year college degree or equivalent education and or combination of education & experience is required for this role.
Minimum Five (5) years of experience as General Manager or Assistant General Manager at a similar size and type of hotel, previous experience as Department Head at the same facility.
• Requires advanced knowledge of the hospitality and business management fields.
• Requires considerable working knowledge of other major areas and the skill to integrate and communicate that information.
• Requires studying, analyzing, and interpreting complex activities or information in order to improve known practices or develop new approaches.
• Ability to make decisions with only general policies and procedures for guidance and keeping the General Manager informed of general direction.
• Requires highly developed communication skills to frequently negotiate, convince, sell, and influence other managerial personnel, hotel guests, and/or corporate clients.
• Must have excellent speech and written skills in order to communicate with managers, guests, and employees.
• Advanced computer knowledge required – MS Excel/Outlook/Word, Hotel Property Management Systems, Credit Card interface systems, Online profile management system
• Must have excellent literacy skills necessary for reports, policies, and procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Must have vision ability to inspect the hotel visually.
• Must have mobility to walk through the front and the back of the hotel.
• Climbing approximately 20-30 steps 20% of the week.
• Physically able to regularly inspect all areas of the interior and exterior of the facility.
General office and hotel environment
- Job Family *Hotel - Hotel Les Mars
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $85,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $100,000.00
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 27 North St, Healdsburg, CA 95448, USA