Baker/Pastry - Kitchen
The Baker/ Pastry cook is responsible for the pastry team in the coordination of all desserts and bakery items prepared. To assist in the preparation of bread, rolls, breakfast pastries, and other baked goods for the hotel’s guests, outlets and banquet functions. To uphold and assure compliance with all company and departmental policies and procedures.
- Assist in the preparation and baking of dough, cookies, muffins, dough, sponges, custards, meringues, mousse, icing, and other pastries. Store and handle all baked goods.
- Safely and appropriately use baking and measuring tools/equipment/appliances to prepare baked foods.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety handling policies and procedures, including personal hygiene procedures.
- Assist with the setup of banquet functions, outlet orders, and breakfast production.
- Monitor and maintain sanitation and safety standards.
- Maintains dessert station mise en place according to Chef specifications.
- Prepares all recipes with minimal to no supervision as required for daily service.
- Assist Pastry Chef, Banquet Chef and Restaurant Chef in plating.
- Plates desserts to order according to service standards.
- Responsible for completing “Production Sheet” indicating items produced throughout shift.
- Inform the Executive Chef of any supplies that need to be requisitioned
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
SKILLS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required
- Advanced knowledge of pastry functions such as standard mixing procedures, baking time and temperatures, ice creams and sorbets, sanitation and proper handling of mise en place.
- Basic knowledge of chocolate work including tempering, making and handling chocolate garnishes, proper emulsifications, and confectionery items.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a pastry cook in a luxury hotel or fine dining environment is highly preferred.
- Culinary degree or equivalent preferred.
- Abide by availability schedule and be flexible in work habits and schedule.
- Ability to read recipes and follow instructions.
- Demonstrates adequate pastry skills and operations.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to the safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Note: The responsibilities associated with this job could change from time to time in accordance with Hotel Californian’s business needs. As a team player, I may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities from those set forth above.
- Job Family *Hotel - Hotel Californian
- Pay Type Hourly
- 36 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, USA