Thermal - Plant Engineer
Project and Business Development Plant Engineer
Cordia is looking for an individual with a strong engineering background and relevant experience in one or more of design, construction, project management and operation of thermal energy production and distribution systems for campus, large commercial, industrial, or institutional facilities. This individual will also provide engineering of solutions and provide support to the business development process primarily for the Omaha district energy systems as well as providing engineering support on an as needed basis for all the Cordia assets. This position will be located in Omaha, NE and is an excellent opportunity for an individual looking to utilize a broad range of engineering concepts as well as further their career related to the business aspects of engineering services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related required.
- 2+ years of experience working in one or more aspects of the technical sales, applications engineer, or design, construction, or operation in energy or other industry
- Direct experience in the areas of combined heat and power, central utility plants, and utility distributions systems, or industrial HVAC a plus
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) preferred, but not required
- LEED NC or LEED O&M certification a plus
- MBA or master's degree is a plus
- Active member one or more engineering professional societies, IEEE, ACS, AEC, ASME, ASHRAE, others as applicable a plus.
Experience and Skills
· Experience working in one or more aspects of the design, construction, project management, and operation of, one or more of steam boiler, hot water boiler, chilled water, combined heat and power, and power generation plants for utility, industrial or institutional projects.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of district energy production, utilization, and control technologies.
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of the electrical and or mechanical design and construction principles for boilers, chillers, cooling towers, switchgear, generators, steam and hot water distribution systems, and chilled water distribution systems.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products including Microsoft Project and SharePoint, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Oracle NetSuite or similar ERP system preferred
- Experience with Sales Force or CRM system preferred
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated high achiever with ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks, and able to perform duties in a collaborative working environment.
Principle Responsibilities & Key Results
- Provide engineering support for customer development opportunities, including development of alternate solutions, justification of financial preference for solutions and analysis of financial return for Cordia, to include potential presentation to customer.
- Assist Regional General Manager and Business Development Manager in securing approval of acquisitions or development of new District Energy and CHP projects.
o Assist in identifying and cultivating business relationships with target customers and to develop and present energy solutions and services which meet customers’ needs and objectives.
o Assist in preparation of responses to requests for proposals for acquisitions and new projects
o Support development of economic and financial models for new projects Lead the project development and upfront design process for new business opportunities to include:
o Solicitation of proposals and selection of consulting engineers for feasibility studies and preliminary engineering
o Run performance models to evaluate expected performance characteristics for selected technologies
o Work with outside equipment and system vendors and engineering consultants to develop project scope, budget and schedule
o Provide all aspects of technical sales support to the sales and business development team
o Work closely with the Cordia’s Corporate Engineering, Construction and Finance personnel to develop project scopes, costs, savings, schedule, and financial expectations including leading a presentation to the Cordia’s Executive Leader Team prior to the submittal of a project proposal
o Maintain relationships with Cordia customers throughout the tenor of contracts to ensure customer satisfaction
o Perform other duties as required
o Travel, as required (valid driver’s license at all times)
- Provide engineering support for plant operations and maintenance activities.
- Complete studies and analysis to support operational improvements or resolve operational performance issues and inconsistencies.
- Assist with root-cause analysis and recommendation for modifications associated with equipment failures.
- Plan, secure approval for, and execute tasks requiring engineering direction.
- Manage internal resources, contracted engineering services, and construction contractors for assigned projects.
- Assist in annual development of 10-year Capital Expenditure and Major Maintenance plans.
- Prepare and submit project expenditure requests through Cordia’s procurement management system.
- Manage approved capital and major maintenance projects. Maintain ownership of budget, schedule, and design and construction contracts.
- Generate Statements of Work, engineering technical specifications, Requests for Proposals, assist in evaluation of bids and make recommendations for purchasing decisions for assigned projects.
· Manage contract deliverables for approved projects.
· Ensure compliance with Cordia policies and procedures associated with project planning, accounting, expenditure forecasts, and retirement/replacement of capital assets.
· Assist in development in long term sustainability and decarbonization goals for the plant and customer, including new innovative solutions and problem solving.
- Provide support to Business Development with
- engineering new client construction projects in order to provide service to customer.
- Strong familiarity in right of way projects/construction, utility design, and drawings.
The selected individual:
· Will be expected to work extra hours when necessary and when workload requires.
· Nature of position requires extensive internal and external contacts.
· Must maintain a valid driver’s license
· Employee is required to work safely, following the guidelines Cordia Safety Program.
· While on plant operation visits, the employee is expected to wear a hard hat, safety vest, hard toed boots, hearing protection (when required) and safety glasses.
LocationThe selected individual will preferably work out of the Cordia Omaha facility at 2152 Howard St. Omaha, Ne.
Position shall report directly to the Region General Manager of the Omaha Energy Centers. Position will also work with the guidance and direction of the Omaha Energy Center Plant Manager and the Director of Business Development.
Salary & Benefits
This position would be a full-time salaried position. Cordia offers a competitive package of salary and benefits
- Job Family Prof. (Plant)
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Omaha, NE, USA