Thermal - Sales Engineer
Reporting to the Business Development Manager, the Sales Engineer is responsible for fostering the maintenance and growth of existing client relationships, assisting in developing new client relationships, and monitoring/promoting efficiencies within customer buildings. The Sales Engineer will be involved in all aspects off managing current customer accounts, including customer communications, building operations analysis and customer billing for Cordia’s district energy steam and chilled water customers in downtown Minneapolis.
This person will be involved in assisting the development team in the identification of new customers and business opportunities, opportunity feasibility assessment and assist in the development of projects and proposals.
This position will be based in our Minneapolis Main Plant.
Principle Responsibilities & Key Results
Facilities and Building Operations
- Review customer demand/consumption reports (daily/weekly/monthly) and meet with customers to help them better understand usage trends and potential efficiencies.
- Create usage analysis and exception reporting to provide to customers on a regular basis.
- Communicate with and resolve customer issues affecting our plant operations.
- Support customer billing processes; identifies/support efficiency improvements - some collections work/dispute resolution.
- Partner with customer and building operator on proper building management and training.
- Maintain relationships with Cordia customers throughout the tenor of contracts to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Promote safety by ensuring that all safety policies and regulations are followed; attend safety training and complete all other training as assigned.
- Develop and initiate customer retention programs.
- Develop and lead potential new revenue program in the areas of building engineering, personnel training, equipment troubleshooting, etc.
- Facilitate and assist with contract renewals.
- Coordinate customer outreach programs.
- Provide all aspects of technical sales support to the sales and business development team.
- Assist in identifying and cultivating business relationships with target customers and to develop and present energy solutions and services which meet customers’ needs and objectives.
- Assist in preparation of responses to requests for proposals for acquisitions and new projects.
- Support development of economic and financial models for new projects
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience in technical sales or applications engineering in energy, industrial or commercial HVAC equipment.
- Familiarity with the technical and commercial aspects of district energy, industrial HVAC, or energy projects
- Experience in a plant environment and/or formal leadership training preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills including written, verbal, and motivational.
- Ability to interpret, trend, analyze, and manage customer and plant data from large databases / software.
- Team player with the ability to work with internal and external teams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work, set / manage priorities and make decisions independently if necessary.
- Ability to develop and maintain customer relationships.
- Ability to prepare presentations, proposals, technical reports to support sales efforts.
- Capable of contributing to a team environment with site personnel as well as third party contractors
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience with SalesForce or CRM system preferred.
- Customer service experience or background a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of related experience
- 5+ years of demonstrated knowledge of building heating/cooling systems preferred.
- 5+ years of previous experience with technical sales, building engineering and/or commercial real estate/property management preferred.
- Direct experience in the areas of combined heat and power, central utility plants, and utility distributions systems, or industrial HVAC a plus
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) preferred, but not required.
- Valid state driver’s license
- Job Family Prof. (Non-Plant)
- Pay Type Salary
- MEC Thermal Station Main Plant, 816 4th Ave S, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America