Residential Support-Growthways -Belmont Street
Department: Developmental Services - Growthways
Reports to: Program Director (House Manager)
Program Location: Brockton, MA
Schedule: Sunday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, Monday: 3:00pm to 9:00 pm, Tuesday 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm, Thursday 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm, & Friday 2:30 pm to 9:00 pm
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Job Summary: Your position as a residential support staff will be providing direct care services to adults with developmental disabilities in a manner that promotes the development of independent and community living skills and an improved quality of life.
This is a non-exempt position.
Essential Functions of Position:
- Strict adherence to program model including clinical, programmatic and quality protocols (for example, house, staff, supervision meetings, trainings, data collection, community relationships, as required).
- Exercises strong clinical judgement in observing, supporting, resourcing and communicating.
- Teaches and reinforces activities of daily living and household duties (such as medication management, hygiene, cleaning, meal preparation, personal property management, relationship development, budgeting, and safety).
- Implements and develops program activities to reinforce and develop skills which may include using the teachable moment. Help maintain a consistent daily routine, actively engage individuals in challenging activities throughout the day. Provides effective instruction when teaching skills, assesses individuals’ mastery of skill being taught.
- Follows and implements all program safety procedures including crisis assessment, prevention and needed intervention.
- Accompanies individuals to medical, dental and psychiatric appointments or leisure activities via public transportation or agency vehicle. Ensure required documentation is completed for the appointment and accurately report relevant information to medical providers.
- Maintains programmatic documentation. Complete documentation daily to include accurate and timely completion of Daily Progress Notes, Communication Log Notes, medical, behavioral & I.S.P. data, document progress on data sheets
- Performs household and property maintenance tasks toward the general upkeep of the residence. Make sure that the home and program vehicle are clean, provides a safe environment.
- Provides specialized training and instruction to individuals and coworkers (such as in the role of Medication Officer, Human Rights Officer, Van Officer, Safety Officer or Activities Coordinator) on an assigned basis.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned by supervising personnel.
- Handle financial transactions and document receipts for cash and debit transactions.
- Report all critical information accurately and in a timely manner to supervisor and/or Administrator on Call. i.e. safety issues, building or vehicle maintenance problems, incidents, policy violations and significant events.
- Work to build and maintain positive interactions with the families and friends of all individuals.
- Attend a monthly staff meeting and provide input at all staff meetings.
- Become trained in and implement Positive Behavior Support (PBS) techniques to include universal supports for all individuals and targeted or intensive behavior support plans that may be in place.
- Implements all treatment plans as written.
- Interactions with all individuals are respectful and positive.
- Remain focused while on shift. Stay alert and responsive to changes with the individuals and the environment.
- Supervise all individuals during mealtimes and ensure dysphagia diets and physician ordered diets are followed.
- Attend all required trainings and keep required certifications current (CPR, First Aid, MAP, Safety-Care).
- Help individuals to access the community and participate in social events and recreational activities that they have chosen, emphasizing challenging, individualized, and integrated opportunities.
- Actively promote individuals to be capable, valued and accepted community members.
- Advocate for individuals and ensure the protection of their human rights.
- Assure individuals have access to privacy: i.e. knock on the door of the home and bedroom before entering.
- Follow all Policies and Procedures in a safe and cautious manner.
- Drive agency vehicle to provide transportation for all individuals as needed.
- Maintain a good attendance record, arrive to work on time, follow procedures for requesting time off.
- Assist as needed in securing adequate coverage for the program.
- Be a good role model for individuals and co-workers.
- Show good judgement and seek advice when needed to clarify any questions that arise.
- Display initiative and willingness to learn
Requirements for the Position:
- Six months of full-time paid or volunteer experience or one-year part-time experience in human services. Or enrolled in an undergraduate or higher degree program in a human services field.
- GED or High School Diploma required.
- over the age of 18.
- CPR & First Aid (SFA) certification is required. * must become certified within 60 days of date of hire to retain employment*.
- Department of Public Health certification in medication administration is required. *Employees lacking Medication Certification upon hire must become MAP certified within 6-months of date of hire to retain employment*. *Recertification is then required every two years. *
- Certified in Safety Care is required at some programs. * Certification must become certified within 90 days of date of hire to retain employment*.
- Required to walk up and down stairs, provide emergency physical intervention as needed.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and one year driving experience.
- Utilizes a flexible and responsible work style that meets evolving needs of the agency.
- Works with integrity and respects the dignity and value of all individuals.
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Exhibits mission through job knowledge, pride in work role, and advocacy.
- Promotes diversity and inclusion of all individuals.
- Works in a collaborative, compassionate manner with stakeholder/partners.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $19.00
- Brockton, MA, USA