Tech - Site Reliability Engineer (REMOTE)
Backcountry’s engineers are aggressive about finding new technologies to make systems better, faster, more stable, and more interesting to work on. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and rally others around putting it into production.
SREs at Backcountry play a crucial role in helping facilitate and provide structure to this innovation. We vet technologies for production readiness, provide deployment guidelines and support the operational environments. We strive to do this in a collaborative way with our Engineering counterparts as we work toward migrating the organization to a SRE culture.
About the Job
· Work on service resiliency, performance tuning and design.
· Drive resolution critical incidents and work on making sure fixes are implemented.
· Work on toil reduction by designing and implementing automation.
· Work with other SRE engineers and architects to evaluate and implement best practices for current and future workloads.
· Plan and develop infrastructure capacity.
· Monitor system health and capacity and take proactive action to fix problems before they occur.
· Collaborate with engineering teams to build, deploy, and support features.
· Participate in the on-call support rotation within the SRE teams.
· You have at least 3 years of experience supporting containerized production services, running Kubernetes preferably.
· You have at least 2 of years of experience with Infrastructure as Code and configuration tools (we use Terraform and Ansible).
· You have strong knowledge of scripting and programming languages (We use Bash and Python).
· You have at least 1 years of cloud experience (Google Cloud Platform preferred, will consider AWS and Azure).
· You have excellent knowledge of one operating system (Windows or RedHat Enterprise Linux).
· You have excellent understanding of internet application protocols (DHCP, DNS, HTTPS, SSH, etc.).
· You have an understanding on how DevOps practices (CI/CD) and SRE practices (SLOs, SLIs) can be applied to your day-to-day work.
· You hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science degree or similar, or equivalent experience.
· You have advanced level English communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Considered a plus:
· Previous Google Cloud Platform experience.
· Previous experience working in ecommerce environments.
· GCP Professional certifications or CKA.
Projects you could work on
· Performance tuning and capacity management for ecommerce applications.
· Implement SLI, SLOs, error budgets for Backcountry services.
· Collaborate with engineering solving live incidents and follow through with post-mortem activities.
· Build and support systems for internal and external customers spread across multiple regions.
· Workload modernization and migration to Google Cloud Platform
· Provide technical assistance to other engineers in order to build world class ecommerce applications.
Characteristics and Behaviors
· Obsess about gaining and maintaining customer trust. Always think about how you are improving the customer's life with what you are doing.
· True belief in serving great engineers and creating a team that is world-class. People should be able to look back at their time as part of your team and truly feel that it added value to their careers.
· Attitude of taking ownership and getting things done. While we would love for you to have the capability to consistently make good decisions, it is even more important that you accept responsibility when you’ve made bad ones.
· Be at the top of your game with a deep curiosity of the latest and greatest in technology and infrastructure with a bias towards self-education when faced with unfamiliar technologies, problems, or objectives.
· Have a backbone! Strongly advocate your beliefs of what is best for Backcountry. You state your opinions and disagreements directly by remaining candid as well as apolitical.
· Relentlessly escalate the decisions you are most concerned about. Escalation trumps compromise. Yet, once a decision is made, you wholeheartedly commit to it as if it were your own.
Why join the Backcountry Engineering Team?
The best place to do cutting edge technology work and embrace an outdoor lifestyle!
Cutting Edge Technology & Proven Systems: We are committed to owning our technology and constantly evolving to keep pace with modern tools, frameworks, and architecture patterns. We’re actively replacing legacy systems with brand new technology, and there are no arbitrary standards about what technologies are acceptable.
“I like that we own and implement many of our core software systems in-house. It puts us in control of our destiny.”
Make an Impact: Our engineers are creative professionals, not order-takers or code monkeys, and they play a significant part in solving important problems at Backcountry. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and get others excited about getting it into production; if you can convince other people it’s a good idea, you can do it.
“We are designing and building the foundation of the next generation of software for the company. This is an exciting opportunity (that is rare in an established company) to have a fundamental impact on the design and direction of the future software.”
Grow, Stretch & Master: Curiosity is king; we delight in opportunities to take on new challenges and learn new ways of solving problems. There are endless opportunities to stretch your skillsets, take on new challenges, become better leaders, solve difficult problems in elegant ways, and build your career.
“Healthy culture within our Engineering department of continuously learning and keeping aware of new tech.”
Talent Community & Outdoor Lifestyle: On any given day, you’ll find groups of employees backcountry skiing before coming into work, trail running during lunch, taking a happy hour bike ride, or returning from a kayaking trip. Your coworkers work hard, play hard, and relish in the opportunity to encourage others to try a new outdoor pursuit. There is no better company in the world to feed your passion for technology and the outdoors.
“The ability to be creative and adventurous technically here is rare and awesome.”
Backcountry is the leading online retailer of premium outdoor gear. Our mission at Backcountry, why we exist, is to connect people to their passions. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our community. We operate six online specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and WhiskeyMilitia.
Check us out in action here:
● “Outsiders Wanted” http://vimeo.com/66934529
● “This is Backcountry” http://bit.ly/ThisIsBackcountry
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required No
- Travel % 10
- Telecommute % 80
- Costa Rica