Fallstaff Community Organizer
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. has an immediate opening for a Fallstaff Community Organizer, proficient in Spanish, who will support CHAI’s community development mission and goals through community organizing and school engagement focused on the Fallstaff neighborhood. The Organizer will build relationships with Fallstaff residents and community stakeholders and work collaboratively with neighborhood leaders to support their goals to strengthen the neighborhood. The Fallstaff Community Organizer will also be an integral part of CHAI’s Community Development team and support the organization’s overall goals of strengthening the fabric of neighborhoods in northwest Baltimore.
In this role, you will
Build Community Engagement by:
- Convening community members around issues of shared interest and concern
- Attending community meetings and conducting door knocking to build relationships with community members.
- Working with the Fallstaff Improvement Association (FIA) and other community partners to improve cleanliness, safety, and stability of the neighborhood.
- Coordinating and promoting ongoing community and block-level projects
- Supporting planning and organizing of neighborhood events, community leadership opportunities, and cooperative projects between CHAI, FIA, other community groups, Fallstaff Elementary/Middle School, and city agencies
- Working with community members to facilitate communication and collaboration among the diverse residents of Fallstaff.
- Helping to drive CHAI’s mission, fulfill our vision, and abiding by our organization’s values.
Build School Engagement by:
- Supporting parent and community engagement at Fallstaff Elementary/Middle School
- Connecting with the Fallstaff Elementary/Middle School community and leadership
Applicants will have:
- At least 3 years’ experience in community and school engagement/organizing and working in diverse communities
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related fields
- Professional working proficiency in Spanish
- Ability to work varying hours, including evenings and weekends to attend meetings, events, hearings, trainings, and other activities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Preferred but not required: Knowledge of neighborhoods in northwest Baltimore, especially Fallstaff.
- Be an independent thinker and self-starter; take initiative and us good judgement.
- Working knowledge and commitment to DEIJ principles
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written; builds trust.
- Receptive to guidance from others
- Skilled at facilitating conversations among diverse groups.
- Ability to deal with difficult people and problems
- Be a valuable team player and supportive colleague.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000 annually, salary commensurate with experience.
Full Time Exempt position
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, 401(k) employer match, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, and a complimentary membership to the Jewish Community Center. We make work/life balance a priority offering generous vacation/sick time and paid parental leave.
Application Process – Electronic submissions are preferred – All applicates must be proficient in Spanish.
NOTE: As of November 15, 2021, all active full-time, part-time, and temporary staff are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
This job ad is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. is a nonprofit housing and community development organization serving northwest Baltimore. For almost four decades of community service, CHAI has been forging deep connections and helping residents of all ages thrive, making our neighborhoods a stronger, better place in which to live, learn, and grow older.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with our Jewish values, The Associated supports a thriving Baltimore that celebrates diversity and appreciates the unique combination of gender, race, age, religion and ethnicity, sexual orientation, intellectual and physical disabilities, and special qualities that each resident adds to the fabric of life in Baltimore. We welcome everyone interested in our mission to join us. If you require accommodations, please contact us, and we will make every effort to meet your needs.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. believes that Black lives matter. We are committed to fostering a safe, anti-racist environment. Together through open dialogue, we will continually learn and grow with a goal of achieving a culture that promotes justice and pushes for systemic change. We commit to ensuring that the voices influencing our actions are inclusive and representative. We stand firm in our belief that racial equity is essential to strong community.
- Job Family CHAI
- Pay Type Salary
- Baltimore, MD, USA