PA - Rafting (1860)-Raft Guide
Peak Adventures’ purpose is to kindle personal growth, leadership, and connections through experiences in the outdoors.
ASI’s Peak Adventures is an outdoor adventure program dedicated to getting Sac State Students outside. Peak Adventures provides guided outdoor trips, low cost gear rentals, full service bike repair at The Bike Shop, summer youth camps and team building at The Challenge Center.
• Safely perform job duties
• Operation of 14 ft paddle raft on the South Fork of the American River with 3 to 7 participants ranging from age 9 to adult.
• Assess and make decisions about on and off water risk management as it pertains to managing their boat and supporting the Head Raft Guide in following the standard operating procedures.
• Ensure completed documentation for participants and other compliance reporting.
• Manage participant needs.
• Oversee group dynamics such as participant interactions within the group as well as interactions between participants and others outside the group to promote a positive experience for all.
• Load and unload of equipment and supplies
• Understand and adhere to requirements and restrictions for trip location
• The ability to read rapids and basic understanding of the river of operation
• Understand basic know tying and river signal procedures
• Adhere to Peak Adventures and ASI Policies
• Manage first aid needs
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with other staff, and public
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Ability to be flexible and adaptive
• Ability to work well with other staff
• Understanding and adherence to safe operating practices
• Ability to physically handle demands of raft guiding
• Enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Sacramento State; maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA overall (for Student Assistant incumbents)
• Current CPR certification(Online certification not accepted)
• Current First Aid certification(Online certification not accepted)
• Completed Peak Adventures Guide Skills Checklist
• Must attend and successfully complete Peak Adventures Guide School (or equivalent)
• Swift Water Rescue Technician (or equivalent) certification
• Current Wilderness First Aid or higher certification
H:\Job Descriptions\Peak Adventures\PA Student Assistant positions\Raft Guide 2020.doc
Page 2 of 2
• Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and be prepared for both heat and cold
• Must be able to climb, kneel, squat, reach overhead
• Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces
• Must be able to meet minimum physical requirements for individual activity
• Must be able to maintain a high level of focus for long periods
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily after the candidate is offered a position with Associated Students, Inc. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current
Associated Students, Inc. employees who apply for the position.
Associated Students is a nonprofit corporation and an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento providing a wide range of programs and services to the students of CSUS. Therefore, ASI employees are not state employees. www.asi.csus.edu
Associated Student Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime
Statistics Act Statement
compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and
Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made
crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm
- Job Family Sports and Recreation
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Seasonal
- Min Hiring Rate $16.25
- Max Hiring Rate $17.25
- 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819, USA