TRC - PROS - Behavioral Health Employment Specialist/Counselor
RESPONSIBLE TO: Designated Program Manager
PROS Employment Appendix
To provide services, assistance, support, and education to individuals enrolled in the Personalized Recovery Oriented Services (PROS) within the context of how mental health challenges have created barriers to employment. The focus is on discovering the individual’s unique abilities, talents, skills and resources, as well as supporting the participant to consider what they believe would be the best possible employment situation. After the participant identifies a potential job match based on his or her strengths, talents, and interests, there are additional areas to examine such as, steps the person can take to attain employment, mental health barriers, supports that they need, and how to manage challenges they experience, are examples of possible interactions this staff member might encounter. Staff members will complete a range of job tasks including but not limited to supporting individuals in navigating the job application process, interviewing, and hiring process for a new position, completing Vocational or Career Assessments, Benefits Counseling, Rapid Job Placement, and/or Follow-along support (job retention support).
1. Must spend at least 50% of their work hours off-site, in the community while completing employment tasks. (65%+ is strongly recommended for off-site interactions).
2. Positively represents The Resource Center through active participation on agency committees, public meetings, conferences, and in community activities and participation on agency wide workgroups such as CQL Factor Groups, Advocacy, etc. Assure individuals supported have required employment information and materials, as needed and individually specific. Conduct mock interviews with individuals for job preparation. Develop and implement Individualized Recovery Plans (IRPs). Conduct Individual Recovery Planning (CRS), Benefits and Financial Management skill development (CRS), transferring Basic Living Skills Training, Structured Skill Development and Support, and Wellness Self-Management (CRS), Intensive Rehabilitation Goal Acquisition (IR), and Ongoing Rehabilitation and Support (ORS) skills. Participate in program fidelity implementation training, tracking, and outcomes improvement. Participate in all staff meetings, IRP reviews, and clinical team meetings for their assigned caseload. Complete collaborative documentation, service provision, and networking with community employers. Competency in resume writing, career exploration, work-related social skills development, motivational interviewing focused on work and school related goals. Participate in the IPS Learning Collaborative as required by the Office of Mental Health (OMH). Maintains responsibility for confidential and time sensitive information through the use of electronic management systems. Effectively communicates with individuals, families, staff and outside agencies via phone and email in a professional and timely manner. Utilizes Electronic Health Record to effectively manage work completion and remain within regulatory guidelines. Seeks, reviews, and recommends changes, updates, and configurations as needed with assistance from program administration and management.
16. Documents Ticket to Work services in NYESS.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Comprehensive knowledge of the mental health system and the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Model. Must be self-directed and self-motivated. Must possess a strong understanding of the person-centered approach and possess knowledge of or ability to learn the philosophy of empowerment. Must be well organized, demonstrate the ability to manage time effectively and demonstrate ability to maintain accurate records. Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with individuals, families, clinicians and others involved in the provision of mental health services and community supports willingness and interest in providing direct service to those diagnosed with Severe and Persistent Mental Illness. Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record according to guidelines established by The Resource Center’s insurance carrier or equivalent accommodations required. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the job.
1. Presents in-service training topics in areas of expertise to other members of the Behavioral Health Services staff and other agency programs. Participates in agency training as requested including additional employment based trainings and/or behavioral health trainings. Performs other duties as requested by Program Manager or Behavioral Health Management Team.
position is a supportive member of the interdisciplinary team.
Unlicensed Level 1: (SG 15) Unlicensed Behavioral Health Staff are qualified by professional and/or personal experience in a behavioral health setting. Unlicensed staff must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent. Must be eligible for or have a provisional Peer certification by New York State: If eligible for a Provisional Peer Certification, all certification requirements as outlined by the New York Peer Specialist Certification Board (http://nypeerspecialist.org/) must be accomplished within (3) three months of hire. Eligibility requires that an individual have lived life experience with mental health/and or substance use barriers. Once NYS Peer Certification is obtained will automatically archived.
Level 2 Paraprofessional – Unlicensed Level 2 (SG 16) Unlicensed Behavioral Health Staff are qualified by professional and/or personal experience in a behavioral health setting. Unlicensed staff must be at least 18 years of age Must possess the following to be considered for Level 2: Bachelor’s Degree or is currently certified as a Certified Peer Specialist by New York State. Selected candidate must successfully complete a Drug Screen, Criminal Background Check and be cleared through NYS Justice Center.
- Job Family TRC - Active - PFL/DBL Eligible
- Pay Type Hourly
- 186 Lake Shore Dr W, Dunkirk, NY 14048, USA