Senior Associate Counsel
SMS is part of the Alliant family of companies. SMS is a full-service insurance marketing organization (IMO) dedicated to helping independent insurance agents leverage time, make more money and put their business in a position of distinction. Founded in 1982, SMS has grown into one of the industry’s foremost IMOs with more than 320 employees and 65,000 independent agents under contract. With products and agents in all 50 states, SMS offers the industry’s most complete IMO experience. We support every facet of an agent’s business, from our comprehensive senior product portfolio to our technology, services and marketing programs.
Social media link: https://www.linkedin.com/company/seniormarketsales/
The Senior Associate Counsel advises corporate departments and business groups on a broad range of legal issues. Reviews, drafts, and negotiates a variety of contracts and other forms, in addition to other general corporate and compliance matters. Proactively contributes to the progress of the legal department and development of team processes, procedures, and practices, as well as policies, processes, and procedures for the company.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provides guidance on legal matters and anticipates, mitigates and advises on potential legal problems across corporate groups, client engagements, and third party relationships
- Reviews, drafts, negotiates and advises on a wide range of contracts including independent contractor agreements, vendor agreements, client agreements, marketing service agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Partners with multi-functional transactional teams, including corporate and business development, accounting, sales, and human resources, on company policy, process and procedure development and legal compliance
- Act as a legal consultant for the company in legal matters, mediations, arbitrations and hearings, as needed
- Partners with other internal attorneys to create, refine and update contract templates and other forms
- Supports merger and acquisition activity by collecting, reviewing and preparing information for due diligence, contributing to integration process for newly acquired companies and working with external counsel on relevant issues
- Works with other internal attorneys to develop, revise and manage legal department policies, processes and procedures
- Assists with supervising, mentoring and training other associate attorneys and legal team members
- Develops and gives presentations to various corporate groups and management on best practices with regard to contracting, legal compliance and other legal matters
Education / Experience:
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school is required
- Member in good standing of at least one State Bar or the District of Columbia Bar is required
- Experience in effectively preparing, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts with minimum supervision
- Five (5) or more years of related work experience (insurance or financial services preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to give legal guidance in a practical, business-oriented manner to non-lawyer company representatives in order to help reach solutions
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Demonstrated business acumen with ability to inspire trust and confidence with senior management
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to adapt skills based on context and environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish good professional relationships with internal clients, management, and legal colleagues
- Excellent planning, organizational, and prioritization skills, including ability to multi-task on multiple high-priority projects
- Good judgment, including good business judgment
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
“Successful people do those things that failures refuse to do.”
Equal Opportunity Employer; SMS participates in the E-Verify system.
- Pay Type Salary
- 8420 W Dodge Rd #510, Omaha, NE 68114, USA