Associate Research Analyst (Associate Data Scientist)
CNA is looking for Data Scientists/Analysts to join our Data Science Division (DSD). We are a collaborative team who provide data science expertise and support to the Department of the Navy and Department of Defense. We develop models and analytics to solve problems across all Navy domains, including aviation, surface warfare, undersea warfare, cyber, logistics, readiness, force generation, sustainment, acquisition, and cost modeling.
Our Data Scientists/Analysts work on projects involving large datasets and complex questions that demand advanced coding skills as well as statistical and modelling techniques. We are passionate about using our skills to help the Navy achieve its goals and stay ahead of adversaries. We are a team that enjoys working together to solve complex problems. Our work leverages agile project management techniques to support faster cycle times to insights and to develop analytic minimum viable products.
At CNA, we foster an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem-solving process. We are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches. We offer competitive salaries and benefits packages, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. We also offer opportunities for professional development and growth, including training and mentorship programs.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Under close supervision, conducts research and analysis that meets CNA’s quality standards on focused, structured questions. Can effectively apply standard, routine, and well-established analytic methodologies. With minimal direction and supervision, routinely produces analysis that is logical and traceable as well as objective and unbiased. Shows some analytic creativity.
2. Develops rudimentary institutional knowledge of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues.
3. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Keeps others informed. Actively engages with colleagues and works with manager to identify opportunities for collaborations within team and division. Seeks out others working on similar topics.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by conducting background research and helping prepare materials under the direction of more experienced staff.
5. Limited interaction with sponsors/clients and their study POCs under the supervision of an experienced colleague.
6. Impact largely confined to individual project work.
7. Demonstrates basic, effective communication skills, both written and oral. Can effectively present work to colleagues and CNA managers.
8. Works under close supervision on focused, well-structured pieces of projects.
9. Exhibits a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and clients/sponsors. Serves as an effective member of project or research team by supporting leadership as needed.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a statistics, data science, computer science or equivalent experience.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements Master’s & 0+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Facility with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Access, Powerpoint); Ability to manage databases; Ability to gather and organize information on policies, systems, problems, or procedures; Strong critical thinking and organizational skills; Basic knowledge of research techniques; Ability to plan and organize tasks effectively, both as an individual contributor and as a team member; Basic, effective communication skills.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance.
*Please include a cover letter and your transcripts with your application.
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters here: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster. To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Employment Indicator (none)
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America